Friday, June 1, 2012

THE FINAL REBELLION





I

If I walk down the street
Naked
Would you say
I have gone mad
If I divested myself
Of all your constrictions
And restrictions
And conventions
And inventions
Your expectations
And your hallucinations

If I was to go
Back to nature
And declare
The final rebellion
Would you say
She has gone mad

Onyeara na uche ya yee
So the old folks say

Can you see the reason
In the madness
Can you see the order
In the chaos
What is the depth
Of a mirror
What is the sound
Of silence

The emperor had no clothes on
But still felt like an emperor
And the tin man
He had a heart after all
There is more to life
Than appearances
That which is real
We cannot see at all

So I declare
The final rebellion
I declare
What I want to be
It has nothing to do
With your judgments
Its only between God and me


II

What do I care if you like me
What do I care if you approve
I dare you to judge me
I dare you to reprove
I dare you to a duel
Without your fancy tools
I dare to you to create
Your own rules
I dare you to be true
To the One that dwells in you

I dare you!

Can you see
I have a speck in my eye
I don’t  know what’s in yours
Am I getting through
I must rush to wash it out
Can you lead me
Down the path
To still waters
Can you keep me
From stumbling
And hurting my feet
On the stones

I didn’t think so

A child once wrote
That ‘He who judges another
Judges God’
Profound words
Profoundly misunderstood
The words of one that sees
Only the good
Whose eyes are clear
Liberated of wavering moods

And so free at last
I declare
My final rebellion

©Lesley Gene Agams May 14, 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment